Saturday, Dec 16, Adopt-A-Park event @ Indian River Park is Cancelled! We will reschedule for the new year.
There is a lot to share in this month's newsletter. First off, we need volunteers to finish mulching the Native Plant garden on Saturday, Dec. 16th. Also, since we are now meeting every other month, we will not be holding a Holiday Party this December. Instead, we will have a Volunteer Appreciation Celebration as part of our Annual Meeting on Jan. 18th in the new year; so, please mark your calendars. And don't forget our traditional First Day Hike at Indian River Park on New Year's Day!
Also in this issue:
- Upcoming Events
12/16/2023 - Saturday - Adopt-A-Park @ Indian River Park
- 1/1/2024 - Monday - First Day Hike at Indian River Park
- 1/18/2024 - Thursday - Annual Meeting and Volunteer Appreciation Celebration
- Indian River Small Area Plan Update
- General Assembly Session
- Tidewater Master Naturalist and Chesapeake Master Gardeners
- Leave the Leaves
- November Recap
- Time: 10:00 am to 1 pm
- Location: Meet at the Indian River Park entrance at Rokeby Ave. and Main St. (2001 Rokeby Ave.) which is located just south of Military Highway, i.e. across Military Highway from the Fire Station.
- Help us finish mulching the native plant garden at Indian River Park. We need folks to help move and spread mulch. If you have a wheel barrow you can bring, please let us know!
- Please wear closed-toe shoes, a hat and bring work gloves. Long pants are recommended. If you can, bring rakes and pitchforks. We'll have water and snacks available. We also always encourage folks to bring their own water in reusable bottles to minimize use of plastic bottles and cans.
- Participants under 18 years of age must have adult supervision.
- Please pre-register so we have a headcount on the number of volunteers at https://forms.gle/v1cUZ3SVY9eGLYC79
- Location: Indian River Park entrance at Rokeby Ave. and Main St. (2003 Rokeby Ave.) which is located just south of Military Highway, i.e. across Military Highway from the Fire Station.
- Join us for our New Year traditional nature hike in Indian River Park. Learn about the history of the park, the native trees and plants in this century old forest on the Indian River flood plain, and its value to maintaining the health of local butterfly, bird, and wildlife populations. Note: the forest trail has uneven surfaces and minor elevation changes.
- Please pre-register at https://forms.gle/6asmKFpwFq22cjfv6 (suggested but not required)
- Location: Oaklette United Methodist Church, 520 Oaklette Drive
- Please join us for our Annual Meeting to help us plan for 2024 and hold elections for our Board. If you are interested in becoming an officer or board members, please contact us for more information about the roles.
- We will also use this meeting recognize our volunteers and the great work they do. There will be refreshments including various appetizers and desserts.
- We'll also have the latest community news and updates on Indian River Small Area Plan, the duck blind and more!
- All are welcome - please join us to celebrate our accomplishments in 2023 and plan for 2024.
|Blue Heron Landing Park construction
After the approval of the Plan in 2021, the City stated it would organize an implementation steering committee that would meet on a regularly occurring basis and include both City staff and community members. This past month, we again reached out to the City about progress on the implementation of the Indian River Planning Area Study and for setting up this steering committee, with community involvement. We hope to share feedback from the City at our Annual Meeting in January.
|Artwork courtesy of Joan_de_Art