Greetings! We hope everyone had a safe and healthy summer. This fall the Friends of Indian River are going to get back in gear with various volunteer events and, at least initially, virtual monthly meetings. We can also report progress on various cooperative efforts with the City.
- Upcoming Events
- Virtual Monthly Meeting - Planning Community Gardens - Thurs., 9/17
- International Coastal Cleanup @ Indian River - Oaklette Bridge - Sat., 9/19
- Indian River Canoe/Kayak Cleanup - Sat. 9/26
- October preview
- Voting Guide
- Other News
- Indian River Park Small Area Plan Update
- Blue Heron Landing Park Update
- Plymouth Park Picnic Shelter
- Indian River Park Trail Planning
- Census 2020
- Contests sponsored by Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council
Date: Thursday, September 17, 7 pm
Location: Zoom Meeting, Pre-register
Chris Epes, Norfolk Extension Agent will talk to our group about the ins and outs of creating a community garden.
We'll also go over some organization business and the latest community news and updates. Please pre-register for the event to get the Zoom meeting URL. https://forms.gle/GxLsPTNFDKPMKwci7
Date: Saturday, September 19, 9 am to Noon
Location: Meet at Lilac Avenue and Indian River Road. Park along Lilac Avenue by the Norfolk Highlands Primary School. It is a No Parking zone along Oleander Avenue (parallel to Indian River Road).
Date: Saturday, September 26, 2 pm to 5 pm
This is a "Bring Your Own Boat" event. If you plan to participate, it is important to let us know so that we can plan appropriately and provide additional information on logistics and where we will gather. If you have a boat but nowhere to put in along the river, contact us to make arrangements on where to put in. Contact us at email@example.com
Upcoming Dates in October
- Monthly Meeting - Speaker TBA - Thursday, October 15
- Adopt-A-Park @ Indian River Park - Saturday, October 17
- Halloween Hike @ Indian River Park - TBA
- Early In-Person Voting will be available from Friday, September 18 through Saturday, October 31 at
- General Registrar's Office located at 411 Cedar Road Chesapeake, VA 23322
- Satellite locations at one library in each zip code in the city, including Indian River Library, South Norfolk Library, and Greenbrier Library.
- Available Monday thru Friday and the last two Saturdays in October, hours to be announced.
- Election officials will be at the sites to enable voters to cast their ballot. Voters will not have to have a reason or fill out an application to vote early, but must provide their name and address and show an acceptable form of ID or sign an ID Confirmation Statement.
- Vote by Absentee Ballot
- You can request an absentee ballot online at https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/. You will need a valid Virginia DMV driver's license or state ID card to request an absentee ballot online. Otherwise you can mail in your application or go to the Chesapeake General Registrar's office.
- You do not need to give reason to vote absentee in Virginia.
- Once you receive your absentee ballot, return your ballot to your local registrar by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day; or it must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received by your registrar by noon on the third day after the election.
- If you request an absentee ballot and decide to vote in person instead, you must hand in the unused, unopened absentee ballot to an election official when you vote in person.
- Vote on Election Day, Tuesday November 3, 2020
- Polls will be open from 6 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.
|Blue Heron Landing|
- Notable Yards Contest is looking for yards that "Look Good and are Good For Nature". The deadline for nominations is NOW - Tuesday, September 1st.
- Chesapeake Calendar Photo Contest, looking for photos that highlight the beauty and splendor of parks and scenic area around the City of Chesapeake, is taking entries thru September 18th.
- Business Beautification Award, which recognizes businesses in Chesapeake that takes pride in the visual impression it leaves on the surrounding neighborhood and shows an awareness of the environment, is accepting nominations until September 30th.
- Submit all entries via https://www.cityofchesapeake.net/ceic