Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
Date: Thursday, September 21st, 7 pm
Location: Oaklette United Methodist Church, 520 Oaklette Dr.
There will be light refreshments and door prizes after the meeting.
Date: Saturday, September 23rd, 9:30 am to 11:30 am
Starting Location: Irwin's, 4300 Indian River Road
We need your help for our quarterly cleanup. Join us for a few hours to clean up the mile of Indian River Road from the city limits at Wingfield Avenue all the way to MacDonald Road. We are also asking all business owners along Indian River Road - and everywhere really - to make sure they sweep up in front of their storefronts as part of the effort. And if you can't make it out for our organized cleanup please take 15 minutes and cleanup the street and ditches in front of your home; pass the word to your neighbors!
For our main cleanup on Indian River Road, the city will provide garbage bags and orange safety vests. We'll have water and snacks available. Please wear closed-toe shoes, a hat and bring work gloves and other items that may be useful. Participants under 18 years of age must have adult supervision.
Date: Saturday, September 30th, 11 am to 1 pm
Location: Indian River Library, 2320 Old Greenbrier Rd
Gardeners and Plant Lovers - Got some extra plants in your garden? Want to switch out that rosemary plant for something new? Got too much bee balm? Well, join us for our first ever Plant Swap at the Indian River Library. Bring a plant and trade it for a different plant. The more you bring more you may take home. Bring Perennial Flowers, Herbs, House Plants, Small Shrubs, etc. There will be a Chesapeake Master Gardener Help Desk at the event to assist in identifying plants and answering other questions. We'll also be doing a Fundraising Sale of miscellaneous gently used garden paraphernalia.
Please, no invasive species are allowed, including English Ivy, Privet, Vinca (Periwinkle), Chinese Wisteria, Bush Honeysuckle, Common Daylily, etc. Please include a name card/label it identify you plant(s) if possible.
- The 2017 RiverFest will be on Sunday, September 17th from 11 am to 4 pm at Carolanne Farms Park in Kempsville, on the banks of the Eastern Branch. FREE Guided Kayak Paddles, FREE Kids Activities, NEW Elizabeth River Scout Patch, Learn what's in our river at the Science Dome, Native Plant Sale, Adopt a River Otter, Become a River Star, Live Music by Lewis McGehee, Mountaintide & The Storyweavers, Food Trucks, Dog Friendly. Come visit the Friends of Indian River table at the event! See http://www.elizabethriverfest.org/ for all the details.
- Local concerns about a planned natural gas pipeline that would cut through the Georgetown, Sunrise Hills, and Campostella neighborhoods of our area were on display on August 16th as residents protested the project. The pipeline would follow the Dominion Power Line Corridor which cuts through multiple backyards. Virginia Natural Gas is finalizing an "encroachment agreement" with Dominion Energy but would still need to obtain easements from around 80 property owners. https://pilotonline.com/news/local/around-indian-river-residents-protest-for-hours-over-proposed-natural/article_48b3fbe0-d8c8-5f06-8bf0-c66025ee2cdf.html
- Congratulation to Lynn Gilbert for being this year's Notable Yard Winner for the Indian River Area.
- Through September 26th, the Chesapeake Master Gardeners are continuing their Plant A Row for the Hungry program. They are collecting food donations either from your garden or from your pantry on Tuesday mornings at the "Trailer" at the City Hall complex. Click here for more info.
- You can now also become a member of the Friends of Indian River, renew your membership, or make a donation online at http://www.friendsofindianriver.org/p/membership.html
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.