Spring is on its way and here are the Friends of Indian River activities for March and into April.
Thursday, March 17 - Regular Meeting: John Wilson of New Earth Farms
Join us at our monthly meeting for a discussion on Earth-friendly farming practices and learn about Biochar, a charcoal based soil amendment for your garden. Also learn a bit about Community Supported Agriculture (CSAs). There will be light refreshments and door prizes after the presentation. The meeting starts at 7 PM in the Social Hall at the Oaklette United Methodist Church, 520 Oaklette Drive.
Eastwyck Apartment Proposal
There is still no news on the Eastwyck Apartment Proposal. It is again not on this month's Planning Commission agenda. We'll provide more information when it becomes available.
Saturday, April 16th - Indian River BioBlitz
- 8:00 am Birding Hike with Tony Wood, Cape Henry Audubon
- 9:30 am Amphibians & Reptiles Hike with Dean Bohon, Northwest River Park
- 11:00 am Insects & Butterflies Hike with Dr. Deborah Waller, ODU
- 11:00 am to 1:00 pm Various activities including Meet Your Park Rangers, Snake Exhibit, and more, No RSVP required
- 1:00 pm Tree Hike with Mike Aherron, VA Department of Forestry
- 2:30 pm Wildflower and Plants Hike with Mike Andruczyk, Virginia Cooperative Extension
- 4:00 pm Wildlife Habitats Hike, Jessica Ruthenberg, Virginia DGIF
Co-sponsored by the Friends of Indian River and the Chesapeake Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. Let us know which hike(s) you would like to join - RSVP to email@example.com or online at http://goo.gl/forms/Ao70I1NyGe
Want to help out? We need volunteers to help at the welcome station, help with the hikes, and to keep track of our wildlife sightings. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, April 21 - Regular Meeting: Lorraine Schreiber on The French Potager: Decorative Vegetable Gardening
Norfolk Master Gardener Lorraine Schreiber will talk to us about how the French kitchen garden intermingles vegetables, fruits, flowers, and herbs. Come and find inspiration in its intimate and sensual style, complicity with nature, and charm. There will be light refreshments and door prizes after the presentation. The meeting starts at 7 PM in the Social Hall at the Oaklette United Methodist Church, 520 Oaklette Drive.
And our calendar of events through June is available at