Striving to improve the quality of life for all the residents of the Indian River neighborhoods of Chesapeake, Virginia, by promoting and preserving a healthy and clean river, shorelines, parks, and green spaces connected to the surrounding community.
Saturday, April 28, 2012
Successful Cleanup along Indian River Road
After a brief safety orientation and announcements, the group split into three teams, one heading west from the river, the other two working their way across the Indian River Bridge to the business district. Bottles, cans, food wrappers, a lawn chair, and thousands of cigarette butts awaited us. The worst areas for larger pieces of trash were along bridge abutments. The cigarette butts - which are NOT biodegradable - were everywhere, even on the fresh mulch under the pretty landscaping by the new Nationwide and Changing Trendz Hair Salon establishments. Kudos to Beasley's Market for a very clean area, Papa John's for fresh plantings on their corner, and to both Irwin's Pharmacy and J&J Hardware for their pretty flower displays.
Three hours and many knee bends later, we had collected about 20 bags of trash and had the satisfaction of tidying up over a mile of the roadway. On our return walk, a few of our volunteers handed out fliers to some of the businesses along the way. Our next event will be to return to the area around and under the Indian River Bridge for Clean the Bay Day on June 2nd.
Posted by Rogard at 6:27 PM No comments:
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Great American Cleanup along Indian River Road
Please join the Friends of Indian River for the Great American Cleanup this Saturday. We'll be working along Indian River Road. The trash we pick up means less plastic, styrofoam, and other debris floating in our waters, entangling wildlife, and entering our food chain. It also helps set an example for others. By starting in our own neighborhood, we can make a significant contribution towards improving the quality of the Chesapeake Bay while improving the quality of our community. I hope you can join us:
- Saturday, April 28th, 2012: Cleanup along Indian River Road as part of the Great American Cleanup
- 8:30 am to 11:30 am
- Meet at Oaklette United Methodist Church, 520 Oaklette Drive, Chesapeake, VA
- We'll be cleaning up 1 mile of Indian River Road from the city limits at Wingfield Avenue all the way to MacDonald Road. This will help to spruce up the area, collect trash that will otherwise get washed into the river and impact wildlife, and give us the opportunity to interact with residents and businesses along Indian River Road.
- The city will provide garbage bags and orange safety vests, please bring gloves, rakes, brooms and other items that may be useful. Participants under 15 years of age must have adult supervision.
- Contact us for more info. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Chesapeake's Notable Yard Contest
Do you or your neighbor have a knock-out beautiful yard that follows good gardening practices? Nominate the yard for the Chesapeake's Notable Yard Contest. Nominations are due April 30th and winners are selected in each of the city's 7 major neighborhoods, including Indian River. Winners get $50 and bragging rights. See the flyer at the link below for details.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)