Providence Road, which skirts just south of the Indian River estuary was established by the early 1800's and can be seen on a map from 1822. The longer bridge and road over the Indian River exists by 1887 and was known as the Princess Anne Shell Road connecting Norfolk and Princess Anne Courthouse - the county seat of what will someday become the city of Virginia Beach. It was a "Shell Road" because it was paved with leftover oyster shells from the then abundant oyster houses that lined the Eastern Branch of the Elizabeth River. The area was obviously rural with small farms stretching away from the Norfolk and the then independent town of Berkeley. In the memoirs of Al Philips who moved to a farm in the area as a boy 1909, the Shell Road "consisted of a foundation of great quantities of oyster shells and its surface was very rough like coarse corduroy. Shell Road extended from the Norfolk County Line, past the Shumadine farm, our farm, and eastward across Providence Road at Thompson's Corner, all the way to Kempsville Road. The daily wagon traffic over many years had ground the shells fine."
Development started to pick up in the second decade of the 1900's. By this time the pollution of the Eastern Branch was wiping out the oyster industry and the last of the oyster houses closed. The main road was soon repaved in gravel and renamed Indian River Road. The Norfolk Highlands School - which continues today as the Norfolk Highlands Primary School - was established in 1913 along with the grid outline of streets that now graces this early suburb of Norfolk.
Development continued through the 20th century as Indian River Road morphed into a 6 lane thoroughfare busy with shopping centers and businesses serving both the local community and commuters on their way to the factories and shipyards along the Elizabeth River. The neighborhood has a diversity of housing, from century old architecture to recent in-fill, from affordable apartment complexes to pricey waterfront properties. The population has proven to be quite stable over the past several censuses as the community matured.
In recent years the community has lost a few of its businesses to the growth of the nearby malls. The 2007 shutdown of the Ford manufacturing plant a few miles down the road has also impacted business - from lunch spots to the league play at the bowling alley. But now the old Ford property has been sold to Jacoby Development, which plans to turn it into the "Virginia Renaissance Center" - a mixed-use industrial project with an emphasis on alternative energy products and technology.
-Chesapeake Indian History
- Historical Maps of Virginia
- Alison Phillips' Farm Life Memoirs 1910-1935
- Staff and Community Promote 85 Years of Learning Excellence at Norfolk Highlands
- In Ford's wake along Indian River Road
- Ford razes buildings at plant before finalizing sale